Introducing Illamasqua's Art Team
Illamasqua’s Art Team plays a pivotal role in spreading our message of tolerance, self-expression and make-up education to as many people as possible. Recruited from diverse backgrounds, each Key Artist brings their own individual creative approach to Illamasqua – and in return, we encourage them to express their alter egos as freely as possible. Whether they’re working on a photo shoot, film set or theatre production, collaborating with fashion shows or training our make-up artists, our Art Team are dedicated to sharing their love of Illamasqua and our unique, professional-quality products with the world.
- Alex Box – Illamasqua Creative Director
Alex grew up in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, before relocating to London to study Fine Art at Chelsea College of Art and Design. Her installation-based work challenged and explored the relationship between the body, environment and desire to a pure form. As well as her site specific installations, Alex has exhibited in numerous London and international art galleries.
As the Creative Director for cult make-up brand Illamasqua, Alex Box is instrumental in shaping the brand’s product development, imagery and creative vision from conception to execution. Her masterful work with shade, texture, and contrast brings to life the fantasy and creativity inherent in everyone, inspiring them to explore and express their alter ego.
“Illamaqua is the palette of creativity that lets you be the artist; the key that unlocks doors previously closed and that hand that holds yours in the journey of personal empowerment. Marcel Proust said ‘The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes’.” – Alex Box, Creative Director.
Alex leads the field in experimental beauty with her beautiful, surreal, dynamic designs continuing to make an impact on the beauty, art and fashion industries.
- Make-up shoots in titles such as Vogue, I-D, Dazed and Confused, Another Magazine, Stylist, Numero and V Magazine.
- Celebrity clients have included Lady Gaga, Azealia Banks, Robyn, Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Courtney Love, Sienna Miller, Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Eva Herzigova and Claudia Schiffer.
- Awarded Doctor of Design by Southampton Solent University in 2011.
- Make-up Director for fashion weeks in London, New York and Paris for designers which include Gareth Pugh, Karl Lagerfield, Stella McCartney, Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood and Chanel.
- Lipstick in Box – “I love this lipstick, I wear it every day. I still get a tingle down my spine when I think of the journey my own life has taken to be able to design a lipstick and name it after myself. It’s a make-up artist’s dream and I feel very blessed.
- Skin Base Foundation - “Skin base is the holy grail of foundations. It's what make-up artists’ dream of and only dare to think could be made. It's a true classic that will be whispered about for years to come. The perfect shades, texture, weight and opacity. It's also the only foundation I have ever been able to wear! I'm a consumer too and am in love with it, thrilled to finally have my perfect shade and glow.”
- “When you’re stuck in a make-up rut, ask someone else to do your make-up. A friend or a make-up artist, someone who will see you differently and introduce new ways of application or different colours that you wouldn't normally use. A different hand will always bring new shape or shade to your routine and seeing yourself differently will inspire you to try new things.”
- “Looking for inspiration goes beyond the celebrities you see all the time. Look at old films, artist's interpretation of faces and different cultural beauty looks. A totally different countries ethnic diversity and beauty motifs might be the key to unlock experimentation in new shapes shades and textures.”
- Daniel Busuttil – Head of Training
Daniel joined Illamasqua as a make-up artist at the Selfridges, Oxford Street counter at the birth of the brand in 2008. Daniel was overwhelmed by the brand’s choice of colour and the professional quality of the entire range. Being inspired by everything in his surroundings, Daniel’s creativity towards make-up makes a perfect fit with Illamasqua.
Daniel’s journey began with assisting a theatrical make-up team in his birthplace of Malta, where he was encouraged to experiment with make-up in professional environments. Now with 16 years’ experience, Daniel travels to Illamasqua’s counters across the globe, training and educating staff on the brand’s ethos, collections and retail skills.
“Being responsible for the global rollout of the business, I had the great pleasure of meeting and training all the artists that work for the brand. Looking back and seeing the growth of our artists for me is priceless and gives me great satisfaction. We now have the inspirational Art Team, so the future is going to be even brighter. I cannot wait.” –Daniel Busuttil, International Trainer.
- Eye Brow Cake – “I love the quick and easy application due to its highly pigmented formulation and the definition it provides is like no other.”
- Powder Eye Shadow – “With the strong pigment they can be used wet and dry. You can just about do anything with them.”
- “Use your fingertips to press Skin Base Foundation gently over areas you want to conceal including the eye area. It works like magic and it’s totally undetectable.”
- “To give the illusion of fuller bottom lashes, apply Medium Pencil in Fidelity in tiny dots below the lower lashes. Simply blend with an Illamasqua Lip Brush to immediately double the appearance of your lashes.”
- Spob – Head of Professional Development
With over 28 years’ experience in the make-up and hair industry, Spob’s expertise played a vital role in all aspects of product and colour development for the original Illamasqua range.
As Illamasqua Head of Professional Development, Spob works to develop make-up kits for colleges all over the UK, to assist in teaching and developing students in the art of make-up.
“Never stop learning, always challenge yourself. Then share your tips and tricks with others. Make-up and hair is all about team work and creating the right look. Whether it be film, TV, theatre or fashion. You will always get back what you give in work and life. I love to nurture new talent and watch them take off on their career paths. Never give up!”Spob, Illamasqua Head of Professional Development.
Her artistic flair and attention to detail has earned her an enviable reputation as one of the UK’s most forward-thinking make-up professionals.
- Major box office productions ‘Kings Speech’, ‘Enigma’, ‘Inception’, ‘Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy’, ‘Ronin 47’ and the ‘Harry Potter’ films.
- Phantom of the Opera’s 25th Anniversary show as well as being part of the original team 25 years ago.
- TV Commercials – Hovis, Heineken, Stella, Sky Broadband and John Lewis.
- West Yorkshire Playhouse, the National Theatre, Opera North and Glyndebourne Festival.
- Created all looks for Illamasqua’s brand films starring BAFTA winning Vicky McClure.
- Painted 78 dancers for Kanye West’s MTV Awards performance.
- Illamasqua Lip Brush – “I have hundreds of lip brushes but Illamasqua’s is my favourite. It’s so versatile, I use it for lipstick, eye liner and it’s the best brush to glue down wig lace! Being synthetic, it’s also easy clean.”
- Illamasqua Cream Pigment – “All colours in the Cream Pigment range can be used for almost anything. From eye, cheek and lip colour to colour correctors and eye bases. A make-up artist’s dream.”
- “Never read the label. If it says Powder Eye Shadow, mix it with a Cream Pigment and use it as a Lipstick. Experiment!"
- David Horne – Director of New Product Development and Illamasqua’s School of Make-Up Art
David Horne has over 20 years experience as a sought after make-up artist/designer specialising in directional make-up, working within all areas of fashion, trend and editorial beauty make-up.
Embracing subcultures from a young age by getting into the fetish and alternative scene, David attended themed parties which encouraged people to dress up and release their alter ego for the night. It was inevitable this creativity was to pave way for a hugely successful career in make-up artistry.
‘I have been celebrating my alter ego for over 20 years!’ – David Horne, Director of NPD and Director of the School of Make-Up Art.
Today, David oversees two key areas at Illamasqua, one is Director of New Product Development and other is Director of Illamasqua’s School of Make-Up Art, helping people master a diverse array of professional techniques via a range of courses designed to suit all skill levels.
- David has worked with some of the best in the beauty industry; Alex Box, Sharon Dowsett and Val Garland.
- Senior Lecturer and FDA Course Pathway Leader at London College of Fashion
- Awarded a Distinction in PG Cert Teaching Art and Design
- Managerial roles at MAC; Artist Training and Development, Artist Relations and PRO Business Manager
- London, Paris and New York fashion week - Anna Sui, Alexander McQueen, Calvin Klein, Julian Macdonald and Balenciaga shows.
- Celebrity clients have included Pat Cleveland, Anna Friel, Erin O Connor, Eva Herzigova, Sophie Dahl, Veruschkand and Karolina Kurkova.
- Director of Education at Jemma Kidd Make-Up School.
- Skin Base Foundation – “Skin Base is an innovative formula that doesn’t require any outlandish marketing claims. It will leave you staring at your immaculate skin in wonderment. I was an immediate convert and take tremendous pride in introducing this to the market.”
- Ross Andrewartha – International Trainer
Ross joined Illamasqua in January 2011 as part of the Professional team, responsible for raising brand awareness in make-up colleges across the UK. In Summer 2011 he was promoted to National Trainer within the newly formed Illamasqua Art Team. Ross`s role is now International Trainer, where he travels around the globe sharing his knowledge and passion, training the Illamasqua teams and connecting with new audiences.
Ross has worked as a professional make-up artist on a variety of projects for over seven years in both London and Australia.
Today, Ross’s role focuses on developing and motivating the teams and promoting the brands ethos of self expression.
Illamasqua’s Creative Director Alex Box inspires him to push boundaries and create unique pieces of art on each individual face he works with.
Where you can find Ross:
- London Fashion Week
- Sydney Fashion Week
- Westfield and Quantas commercials
- Illamasqua's international training videos
- FHM, Ralph, Penthouse, Loaded, Maxim, Zoo
- Celebrity clients have included Annalise Braakensiek, Collette Dinningan, Camilla Frank, Girls Aloud and Basement Jaxx.
- Illamasqua Eye Brow Cake – “This rich powder is an absolute must have for creating, defining and enhancing eye brows. Brows are so important to frame the face, and by adding Sealing Gel you can really take your brows to the next level."
- Clare Lille – South Trainer
Clare has worked as an Educator at the Illamasqua School of Make-up Art within the London Flagship Store, 20 Beak St W1, since it opened in September 2010.
“In order for people to progress and get to know themselves and others, they must have an outlet for their feelings which includes verbal and artistic expression. As a brand, Illamasqua allows people to express themselves through the art of make-up; letting people embrace individuality” – Clare Lille, Illamasqua Art Team.
Since studying Make-up for TV and Film, Clare has gained 7 years’ experience in the make-up industry, working with celebrities, creating looks for fashion shows and assisting Alex Box on campaigns. Clare enjoys creating avant-garde looks, and as a particular fan of all things vintage, she champions old-school glamour.
Today, Clare’s role as Educator at Illamasqua allows her to inspire individuals and pass on her knowledge; teaching professionals, aspiring make-up artists and members of the public how to express their individuality whilst encouraging them to push beauty boundaries.
Where you can find her...
- Titles such as Glamour and Completely London.
- Worked with photographers such as Rankin and Jem Mitchell.
- Fashion shows including A Child of the Jago SS12 show and Ada Zanditon SS12 show.
- Key Artist on Keanu Reeves film, ‘47 ‘Ronin’.
- Celebrity clients have included Erin O’Connor, Lily Allen, Gabby Young and Kelly Cutrone.
Clare has been selected as Make-up Director for one of the biggest events on Australia’s fashion calendar; retailer Myer’s AW2012 Fashion Show. She will design the signature looks and lead the make-up team in creating her visions.
- Illamasqua’s Eye Brow Cake in Peek: “It’s the only Eye Brow Cake that has matched my hair colour perfectly and it’s incredibly long-lasting.”
- Illamasqua’s Skin Base Foundation: “Skin Base has changed the way I work as a make-up artist. Due to the wide variety of shades I can use it to define and contour as well as for flawless coverage, creating the perfect sculpted face. It’s the first purchase our students make once they’ve used it in the School.”
- “Add Skin Base SB01 to your existing foundation shade and, using an Illamasqua Eye Brow Brush, apply underneath the brow line to create a subtle matt highlight. Great technique for sharpening and lifting the brow.”
- “Apply Pure Pigment in Furore on your cheekbones, down the nose, above the cupid’s bow and the inner corner of the eyes. This will give a subtle highlight with a touch of Hollywood glamour.”
- Leena Adesara – North Trainer
Leena joined Illamasqua as a make-up artist at Selfridges Trafford Centre counter, in April 2009. She was instrumental in championing the brand’s ethos of self-expression and make-up for your alter ego in the early stages.
“Illamasqua lets me be who I want to be, be it soft and natural or wild and colourful. The point is I decide. I choose.” – Leena, Illamasqua Key Artist.
In summer 2011, Leena joined the new Illamasqua Art Team, bringing professional artistry, theatre and creativity in-store and to external events across the country. With over 7 years’ experience in the beauty industry, Leena is an extremely versatile member of the Art Team.
Having suffered from a skin condition called Vitiligo, which causes de-pigmentation, Leena saw make-up as a vital tool to even out her skin tone. Motivated by the confidence make-up gave her, Leena decided to study make-up artistry. She feels the avant-garde transformations she creates using Illamasqua make-up give people the confidence to express their alter-egos.
Where you can find her...
- Company magazine
- Channel M
- Ultimate Guide to Beauty by Anjana Gosai
- Manchester fashion shows
- Lovebox festival
- Leeds Victoria Quarter fashion show
- Celebrity clients have included Helena Bonham Carter and Hilary Alexander.
- Illamasqua Skin Base: “This is the most perfect foundation ever; it gives your skin unbelievable clarity and a more uniform tone...a foundation and concealer in one!”
- Illamasqua’s Lipstick in Pristine: “Illamasqua’s Lipstick in Pristine makes the most amazing eye shadow base. When teamed up with Illamasqua’s Powder Eye Shadow in Machine, it creates a super black smoky eye. I personally love it with Pure Pigment in Fervent.”
- ‘Illamasqua’s Cream Pigments are quick and easy to use if you’re on the go. They’re versatile; making great eyeliners, lip colours, cheek colours, etc. Cream Pigment in Bedaub magically takes away redness on the skin, so I use it on my clients who have rosacea.”
- Charlotte Savoury – Key Artist and member of the Illamasqua Art Team
Charlotte joined Illamasqua as a make-up artist at Cardiff’s Debenhams counter in June 2009 whilst studying BA Hons in Art Practice, specialising in Fine Art. After graduating in 2011, Charlotte joined Illamasqua’s Art Team with the role of Key Artist.
Charlotte finds inspiration from everything around her; from feelings, thoughts and imagination to nature, words, music, colours, textures and the future. Her artistic influences range from Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud to fashion designer Gareth Pugh and Illamasqua’s Creative Director Alex Box.
Today, Charlotte is fuelled by creative energy and thrives on pushing boundaries, focusing on unusual textures and alternative colours. She strives to continue her journey embracing individuality, whilst working with a team of talented individuals that inspire one another.
“In the two years that I have worked as a make-up artist at Illamasqua, I have seen people become more experimental with make-up and open their minds to a world of colour that they would have normally shied away from. It’s definitely onwards and upwards to a brighter bolder future in the world of make-up.” – Charlotte, Illamasqua Key Artist
Where you can find her...
- Titles such as WM Magazine
- Fashion Showcase Wales
- Theatre productions such as ‘The King and I’
- TactileBosch Studios
- Exhibitions in Muni Art Centre.
- Illamasqua Sealing Gel – “Illamasqua Sealing Gel is a must for stay-put brows and waterproofing eyeliner under the lash line.”
- Illamasqua Lipstick – “Illamasqua Lipsticks are a prominent fixture on shoots with me. I use them as paints on the face and body. They work great as a quick eye base and as a blusher too.”
- “Mix Illamasqua Skin Base in shade SB01 to your foundation to illuminate and highlight paler skin tones.”
- “Apply a lighter shade of Illamasqua Concealer or Illamasqua Medium Pencil in Vow under the brow to lift and highlight the brow area whilst concealing those new growing hairs!”