#effyourbeautystandards the Illamasqua Way
Here at Illamasqua we use the message ‘You Are Beauty’ on everything we create – from our packaging and photo shoots to our website. It underpins every launch, every product and the belief is core to our values – you bring the beauty and we bring the colour. This inclusive attitude to beauty in all its forms is what makes Illamasqua so unique.
With this in mind the word ‘ageing’ is one that is often accompanied by scare-mongering and negative connotations. Yet it is one of the most natural processes, one that we all experience that is a celebration of a life well lived. In this vein here at Illamasqua we want to encourage all our #Illamafia no matter what their age to use the products and colours they love. Our collections are not defined by age but instead are open to interpretation and experimentation, this is truly beauty with no age limits.
When Illamasqua was first created it was designed to combat negative marketing messages in beauty that dictated what women at certain points in their lives could or couldn’t use. In the words of our founder Julian Kynaston: “I was frustrated at the kind of language being used to retail ‘hope in a jar’ skincare to women. I wanted us to break false conventions. Part of what makes our customers so special is they are not defined by race, sexual orientation, gender or age. We are for everyone who has the strength of character to seek something alternative to repressive beauty norms. It is my belief that if you really want to look and feel good into your later years the last thing anyone would want to do is to stop wearing colour.”
Definitions of beauty are as ever-evolving as your face, rather than treating it as a terrifying plague that strikes you down on the morning of your 50th birthday rendering you invisible instead it is a constant process that mirrors our own internal growth and transformation. As Sophia Loren wisely noted: “There is a fountain of youth: It is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love.”
As our population is living longer, trends in fashion and beauty have come to embrace ageing with older models gracing catwalks and editorial shoots, like the iconic Pam from our Generation Q Campaign. Hopefully trends in the future (like the fantastic #effyourbeautystandards Instagram campaign) will become increasingly inclusive as here at Illamasqua we can continue to celebrate diversity in all its forms and create products and collections that break the mould.
Our Head of Training Clare Lille provides some fantastic tips below for how to adapt your products to suit your needs as your skin changes, instead of fearing ageing, embrace it and use it as an excuse to try out new styles, looks and colours.
Product and application tips.
- Cream based products – Cream blushers and highlighters inject colour and radiance into the skin, imitating the skins natural glow. Illamasqua Gleam highlighters look fantastic buffed on top of the cheekbone and underneath the brow to highlight and lift.
- Cream eye base – Applying Illamasqua’s Cream Pigment in Hollow helps to remove any redness or veins and cushions the eyelid, preparing a smoother finish for eye shadow application.
- Black eyeliner – Opt for softer coloured liners to create fullness at the base of the lash line. Illamasqua’s Colouring Pencils in Honour, Fidelity and Navy are perfect to create fuller looking lashes whilst still creating a softer look. Navy eyeliner is especially great as it makes the whites of the eyes sparkle.
- You can also use our Illustrator pen to create a tight line underneath the lashes rather than drawing on the top. This will define the lash line by filling in the tiny gaps I between the lashes.
- Lip colour – Illamasqua Colouring Pencils are a soft creamy texture which makes them easy to blend avoiding any harsh lines. Don’t shy away from bright lipsticks; they inject colour and vibrancy into the make-up. Matte textures last longer on the lips and also prevent bleeding into the lip line.